Grilled Sweet Onions
Published: September 1, 2009
Grilling onions brings out all their natural sweetness, so be sure not to undercook them or you won’t get that rich caramelized flavor. If you don’t have a nonstick grill rack (like a porcelain- coated seafood rack), soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes and push a skewer through each onion slice to hold them together.
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck
What you Need:
- 3 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, Walla Walla, or red
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Heat a gas grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes, or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
- Cut the onions into slices about half an inch thick. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/3 cup olive oil with the vinegar and rosemary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay the onions on a nonstick grill rack over direct high heat and cook 5 minutes without moving. Turn carefully and cook on the other side, about 4-5 minutes more, until golden brown and softened, with slightly charred edges.
- Remove to a serving platter and drizzle