Maple, Bacon and Tomato Sandwiches
Published: May 1, 2009
Call these sandwiches a sophisticated version of a fast-food favorite, or a jumping-off point for creating the grilled breakfast sandwich of your dreams. Try slices of grilled sourdough instead of English muffins, sausage patties instead of Canadian bacon, or add a slice of cheese. Instead of maple syrup, swipe the muffin with butter or add a lick of mustard inside. Whatever you prefer, they’re a great way to start the day.
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck
What you Need:
- Softened butter
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into
- 4 slices each
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 eggs
- 4 English muffins
- Real maple syrup
1. Preheat a gas grill on medium with the lid down for 10 minutes or prepare a medium charcoal fire.
2. Spread a little softened butter very lightly on the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill on both sides until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Grill the Canadian bacon slices until browned but not dried out or curled—about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate.
4. Put a teaspoon of the softened butter in the bottom of four muffin cups (in a 6-cup tin). Sprinkle a little salt and pepper in each and set on the grill over direct heat. As soon as the butter melts, break an egg on top and dust with more salt and pepper. Cover loosely with a sheet of foil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the white is set and the yolk is still soft.
5. While the eggs are cooking, split the English muffins and butter the insides. Set them inside-down on the grill rack. Brush the outsides lightly with maple syrup. When golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes, flip and grill the syrup side for 1 minute.
6. Working quickly while all the components are hot, assemble the sandwich: muffin base, bacon, egg, tomato, muffin top.
Eat right away – before someone steals them.
Register online for access to more valuable resource information.
Don't miss your connection to the reader forums, projects, photo galleries, and more.