Grilled Zucchini Packets
Published: September 1, 2009
Tender young zucchini have a delicate flavor that is highlighted by the light smoky taste of grilling in foil packets. You can use canned Parmesan, but grated Asiago or pecorino adds a bit more tang to the finished dish. Serve with bread to mop up the juices!
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck
What you Need:
- 2 pounds young, tender zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Chopped fresh parsley, basil or thyme (or a combination)
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Shredded Asiago or pecorino romano
- Preheat a gas grill on high with the lid down for 10 minutes, or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
- Scrub the zucchini and then slice as thinly as possible. Divide among six 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil and sprinkle with garlic.
- Drizzle each packet with olive oil and a few tablespoons white wine. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Seal each packet up tightly and grill over direct high heat for about 10 minutes. Remove to a platter and let stand for 5 to 6 minutes.
- To serve, let each diner open their packet on their own plate to avoid losing all the yummy juices, and sprinkle with grated Asiago or pecorino.