Asparagus in Puff Pastry
Published: February 1, 2012
These are like potato chips and will disappear quicker than you can say, “First Down!” Makes about 30.
Food styling and photo by John & Tanya Bäck
2 pounds asparagus
¼ teaspoon chili powder
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
2 packages puff pastry sheets
1 cup whole milk
1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Fill a large pot with water, add salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Cut the bottom 3 inches off the asparagus stalks, and discard. Boil the stalks for 3 minutes. Remove them to a pan of cold water to shock them. When they’re cool, drain them, sprinkle them with black pepper to taste, and set them aside.
2. Mix the chili powder with the cream cheese.
3. Dust a cutting board with flour, unfold a puff pastry sheet, and cut it into 3-inch-long strips.
4. Use a small spatula or butter knife to spread the cream cheese mixture on the puff pastry sheet.
5. Mix the milk and egg to make egg wash.
6. Bundle two or three stalks, and slowly wrap a puff pastry strip around them; carefully brush egg wash on the pastry. Repeat for the remaining stalks. Bake until golden brown.