Chipotle Beef Chili
Makes 1 serving
Chipotle pepper powder is available at well-stocked spice or bulk food stores and some supermarkets. If you can’t find it, you can grind a dry chipotle pepper in a spice grinder.
- 1⁄2 oz Cajun Beef Jerky or Southwestern Ground Beef Jerky, broken into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup dried cooked kidney or black beans
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried red or green bell pepper pieces
- 2 tsp dried onion pieces
- 1⁄2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of chipotle pepper powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Prep at Home
In a sealable plastic bag, combine beef, beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onions, oregano, chili powder, chipotle powder and salt. Seal and store at room temperature for up to 1 month.
1. In a saucepan, combine beef mixture and water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
2. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Replace 1⁄4 cup of the water with beer. Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese or dollop with sour cream to serve.