By Chef Patrick Moore
Makes 6 servings
1 pound asparagus
8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 minced garlic cloves, divided
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, divided
2 red bell peppers
1 small red onion
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
12 pieces focaccia bread
12 ounces mixed baby greens
3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese Dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 minced garlic clove
2 tablespoons minced chives
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Trim off the bottoms of asparagus, and then marinate with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tablespoon parsley, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of black pepper (or more to taste).
3. Cut red peppers into quarters. Remove seeds.
4. Trim off the top and the bottom of the red onion, peel and cut into ¼-inch rings.
5. Marinate red peppers and onions with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper (or to taste).
6. Grill vegetables over medium heat for 2–3 minutes per side or until vegetables become tender. Remove from grill, cool and cut red peppers into thin strips.
7. In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend for 10–20 seconds to emulsify. Reserve.
8. Over low-medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a simmer. Slowly reduce by half volume, being careful not to burn it. Remove from heat, cool and reserve.
9. Using 4 tablespoons of olive oil, brush each piece of bread and grill each for 1–2 minutes per side until golden brown.
10. In a bowl, toss dressing with mixed baby greens. Evenly divide the greens between 6 plates. Divide the grilled vegetables into 6 servings and place over the salad greens.
11. Sprinkle each salad with half an ounce of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of balsamic reduction over each salad in a crisscross pattern and serve with 2 grilled focaccia croutons.