The two best things about this recipe are its simplicity and its versatility. There’s room to substitute with whatever veggies are in season or on hand. If your crew prefers chicken over sausage, that works well here, too.
*All products featured are selected by our editors. When you make a purchase through a qualifying link, we may earn a commission via affiliate programs with Amazon.com and other retailers.
- 1 ½ pounds sausage (bratwurst or kielbasa work well)
- 2 red bell peppers, trimmed, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into rounds
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons good-quality olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Save time by skipping the skewer soaking step; use metal skewers instead.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the grill for direct cooking by preheating to medium-high heat.
- Cut the sausage into 1 ½-inch pieces. In a large bowl, toss the sausage, bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season to taste with salt, black pepper, dried oregano, and additional olive oil.
- Thread the sausage and vegetables onto the presoaked skewers, alternating between sliced sausage and vegetables. Grill, turning frequently, until the sausage is browned and cooked through and the vegetables are crisp tender, 10 to 12 minutes, brushing with the remaining olive oil from time to time.
- Divide the skewers among plates and serve.