I’ve always loved snack time, and these pepperoni pizza pockets make an awesome snack; kids and adults alike go crazy for them because they’re mini pizzas wrapped in a flaky crust, and who doesn’t love pizza? These are fantastic for a game day snack.
Makes 18-24 pizza pockets.
- 2 (2-crust) packages premade, pre-rolled piecrust (a total of 4 crusts)
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce, divided
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni (45 to 55 pieces)*
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- For a vegetarian version, simply skip the pepperoni and add more cheese for the filling.
- No piecrusts handy? Throw your favorite pizza toppings between two slices of bread instead.
- You can also use a pie iron to make pizza pockets over a campfire.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Start by unrolling one piecrust onto a cutting board. Cut out circles, using a biscuit cutter or tracing around the rim of a glass with a knife (You should get 8-10 circles per piecrust).
- Spread a spoonful of pizza sauce on a circle of pie dough, then place two or three pieces of pepperoni on top of the sauce and a heaping pinch of cheese on top of the pepperoni. Take another dough circle, place it on top of the cheese, and pinch the edges closed (You don’t want the filling oozing out when baking, so make sure there are no gaps.).
- Place the sealed pocket on the prepared baking sheet and, using a sharp knife, cut a little slit on the top.
- Repeat the process to form all the pizza pockets, placing them about an inch apart on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and water to form an egg wash. Brush the egg wash on top of all the pizza pockets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops of the pizza pockets are golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve with the remaining pizza sauce for dipping.
From Fast & Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People, by Philia Kelnhofer, Countryman Press 2016.
*All products featured are selected by our editors. When you make a purchase through a qualifying link, we may earn a commission via affiliate programs with Amazon.com and other retailers.