Recipe courtesy of Cuisine at Home magazine
Pear & Apple Cider
Makes 8 servings
- 4 pears, chopped
- 4 apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3-inch)
- 2 tsp. whole allspice
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 knob fresh ginger (1-inch), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 5 cups water
- Place pears and apples in a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker; top with brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger and vanilla bean.
- Add water to slow cooker; cover and cook cider on high setting 2 hours or low setting 6 hours. Smash fruit with a potato masher, then cook cider 1 hour more.
- Strain cider through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a pitcher or pot; serve warm.